Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air Lab Tests (MacWorld)

MacBook Air Lab Tests (MacWorld)
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2008, 12:45 AM

Here's some benchmarks from Macworld for the MacBook Air. Macworld | MacBook Air: First Lab Tests

It is a good bit faster than the PowerBook 1.67GHz which is nice to see.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 11:58 AM

Yep, subnotebooks are always slower than currently shipping notebooks, because they're designed that way. You want to minimize heat and maximize battery life.

And there's a bunch of subnotebook comparisons on various websites showing that the MBA has a faster processor than the subnotebook competition.

Nitpickers insist on comparing a subnotebook to a notebook like the MacBook. If you're looking to buy a subnotebook, you're not in the market for a notebook, and vice versa.

Apple decided that a 13" screen was the minimum requirement, allowing a full size keyboard, and designed it around that. This is not a replacement for the 12" PB, this is a new beastie.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Jan 25, 2008, 02:44 PM

Well definitely be slower than the ThinkPad X61 subnotebook (3.1 lbs, 2.2GHZ Core 2 Duo - same motherboard and processor as the 2.2GHZ MB).

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 05:07 PM

Well, not a lot of people are gonna go for the Thinkpad's eraserhead pointing device.

Here's gizmodo's comparisons:

Battlemodo: Is MacBook Air Worth the Money? Five Slim Laptops Face Off

In any case, the MBA is the only choice in a subnotebook if you insist on OS X, no surprise there. You can criticize Apple for their design decisions, but they must have done market research and prioritized the results to come up with this beauty.

It isn't for me, and it may not be for you, but it will sell.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Well, not a lot of people are gonna go for the Thinkpad's eraserhead pointing device.

Here's gizmodo's comparisons:

Battlemodo: Is MacBook Air Worth the Money? Five Slim Laptops Face Off

In any case, the MBA is the only choice in a subnotebook if you insist on OS X, no surprise there. You can criticize Apple for their design decisions, but they must have done market research and prioritized the results to come up with this beauty.

It isn't for me, and it may not be for you, but it will sell.
I really, really hate the eraserhead pointer. However, many of those eraserhead laptops now have trackpads as well.

What that comparison failed to mention is keyboard size. The number one plus of the MacBook Air is the full-sized keyboard. I can't type on a reduced-size keyboard, cuz it causes me wrist pain.

Still, the MBA is not for me, for other reasons.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Jan 25, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I really, really hate the eraserhead pointer. However, many of those eraserhead laptops now have trackpads as well.

What that comparison failed to mention is keyboard size. The number one plus of the MacBook Air is the full-sized keyboard. I can't type on a reduced-size keyboard, cuz it causes me wrist pain.

Still, the MBA is not for me, for other reasons.
Not a fan of the erasertip, but the ThinkPad does have a full-sized keyboard more reminiscent of the titanium PowerBook G4 than the current MacBook/MacBook Air.

Will be interested to see how the 1.8GHZ SSD MBA performs though. It ought to at least be as fast as a 1.8GHZ MacBook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
Not a fan of the erasertip, but the ThinkPad does have a full-sized keyboard more reminiscent of the titanium PowerBook G4 than the current MacBook/MacBook Air.
The TiBook and the MacBook have the same-sized keyboard. (I've owned both.) The keyboard feel is different though.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 11:22 PM

Here's some more reviews. This one from CNET is great because it gives some speed tests for the Toshiba Portege R500 and the Sony Vaio TZ150, which don't do well compared to the MBA:

Apple MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz - 13.3" TFT Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

Engadget has a well-reasoned review:

MacBook Air review - Engadget

I think it's now official that the MBA doesn't have a Kensington cable security lock slot. It may the first Apple laptop ever to not have one? Serious omission, given how coveted it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules