Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Should Buy .... thread of threads

Apple Should Buy .... thread of threads
benj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 07:13 PM

Hey Folks,
Over the years the threat of someone buying Apple or Apple being absorbed
or Apple buying someone has been a wonderfully humorous and humor-less
topic bandied about by fans, critics and pundits (and Dvorak).
For instance:
Sun/Microsoft/Disney rumors still crop up from time to time and I will admit to writing up a couple of phony press releases for Radio Shack (TandyMac!) and DunkinDonuts (iDonut) over the years.

But seriously- Apple has about 18 Billion in cash and it keeps piling up. Rather than take a shareholder payout (i'd rather see the stock split into quarters) I think Apple should pick up a company and enhance itself with it.
Not a makeover thing like it did (successfully) with neXt (coulda been BeOS
and wow we'd have something very different now if they had done that)
but an enhancement thing (but not like those odd messages you get randomly in your inbox).

So here's my proposal and it's a bit daft... so rather than flame me to death -you suggest your own property for Apple to buy and give your reasons.

here's what I think. Apple should buy NETFLIX. What better business to compete with Amazon/Cable/etc. Make your sales downloadable to your mac or Apple tv, Rentals on iTunes would increase about a billion fold and those
right wing "breast" editing wankers at BlockBuster would get busted off the block. Meanwhile- the distribution industry (er..RIAA/MPAA) will get a swift kick in the arse itunes style.

ok folks any other similarly killer trends for Apple to enhance and conquer?
"Merrily, we roll along."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by benj View Post
right wing "breast" editing wankers
It would appear that the OP is confused about who likes breasts and who doesn't.

Motion to move to pol lounge already.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 07:17 PM

I don't think buying Netflix is such a great idea.

Netflix is essentially a logistics company, distributing movies the old fashioned snail mail way.

Why the heck would Apple get into that business ?
All it would do is delute their profit margins.

Next, please.

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 07:43 PM

AutoDesk
Adobe
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
AutoDesk
Adobe
a little birdie i know has seen several native autodesk apps for OS X that aren't currently available right now. the little birdie is a national instructor for autodesk. they do hear their customers, but by no means is anything ready for prime time. the official solution is to use bootcamp or in a vm.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 10:11 PM

Apple could buy me. Oh, wait. They already own me and all of my money.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't think buying Netflix is such a great idea.

Netflix is essentially a logistics company, distributing movies the old fashioned snail mail way.

Why the heck would Apple get into that business ?
All it would do is delute their profit margins.

Next, please.

-t
Yeah, that's their main business right now, but they're already making the right moves into digital downloads. All that's left is a partnership with tivo/cable dvrs/etc... They are definetely looking forward and understand that in the next 5-10 years physical media will be almost dead (they're betting on about 10 years of being in the blu-ray business).

They're not as foolish as you'd have it seem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 01:38 AM

Apple should buy Amiga

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2008, 02:01 AM

Apple should buy Amiga
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooo!

oo!

You've not heard of the curse of the Amiga? Every company that touches it goes the way of the Dodo. First Commodore and Escom, then Gateway.

Can't comment much on the bloke that owns the 'name' now, its worth nothing, and all that has been produced has been BS and ill feeling in the community.

benj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 08:53 PM

Well, netflix could be had for about 5 or 6 billion...Maybe MS would sell their Biz Unit..
(i kid) But Apple dealing with the Industry groups face to face is an awful thing. SO maybe they should have Netflix deal with it and apple could be the delivery vehicle. I was once told
that the reason the physical media industry moves so slowly is because it deals with Physical things like trucks (and truck drivers), warehouses etc. The infrastructure is quite well woven together. Digital delivery is greener , but it will also put folks out of work...
ok, now time to move this to pol.
"Merrily, we roll along."

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by benj View Post
Well, netflix could be had for about 5 or 6 billion...Maybe MS would sell their Biz Unit..
(i kid) But Apple dealing with the Industry groups face to face is an awful thing. SO maybe they should have Netflix deal with it and apple could be the delivery vehicle. I was once told
that the reason the physical media industry moves so slowly is because it deals with Physical things like trucks (and truck drivers), warehouses etc. The infrastructure is quite well woven together. Digital delivery is greener , but it will also put folks out of work...
ok, now time to move this to pol.
Yeah, I don't think Apple should buy netflix though. All I meant by my other post was that netflix is in (and admits it's in) a dead market, but they are definitely looking for other solutions to stay alive once their business dies off. Apple has no need to enter the dvd/blu-ray market.

Apple wouldn't benefit from Netflix's brand name; Apple would definitely want to use it's own name, and iTunes, not Netflix (even IF they did buy the company). Apple's distribution style is better than Netflix's, and regardless, they'd probably want to keep it in-house anyways even if it was entirely overhauled. Netflix has nothing to offer Apple. It's the competition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules