Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why are you a Christian?

Why are you a Christian? (Page 3)
Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Nothing like Christians mocking other Christians.
You're right, I shouldn't have mocked Catholics. I shouldn't have mocked anyone.

Alas, he's not a christian, in my opinion/belief, not all Catholics are Christians. Lastly, I wasn't mocking Christians, I was mocking Catholics.

It was wrong and I apologize to all Catholics on this forum for my actions, they were wrong, and I ask you to forgive me.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Okay, thank you for explaining what you meant. There is no doubt that the environment in which one is raised has a strong bearing on one's religion, but that doesn't mean that religion is exclusively a product of one's upbringing.
My point exactly, but chuckit doesn't get it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
My point exactly, but chuckit doesn't get it.
It seems like kind of a straw man tactic to argue against the idea that "religion is exclusively a product of one's upbringing." Design has already acknowledged in this thread that it isn't so, and I have never claimed it. The point is just that upbringing is generally the strongest factor in determining people's religion.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It seems like kind of a straw man tactic to argue against the idea that "religion is exclusively a product of one's upbringing."
Huh?!?! You are readingin into what I wrote what you want to believe.
Design has already acknowledged in this thread that it isn't so,
He did? What he said was "I think a better answer is because you were born into a Christian family or at some point formed a close association with Christian people who influenced you to believe as they do. The same goes for all faiths."

He's telling us all why we believe what we do.
and I have never claimed it.
Didn't say you did, are you using a strawman?
The point is just that upbringing is generally the strongest factor in determining people's religion.
So, are you saying that was the original point of the thread? To tell us why we believe what we do and not "Why are you a Christian? ... Or Muslim, or Buddhist, or Jew?"

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 21, 2008, 02:01 PM

Okay, thank you for explaining what you meant. There is no doubt that the environment in which one is raised has a strong bearing on one's religion, but that doesn't mean that religion is exclusively a product of one's upbringing.
Children are programmed to learn from their parents. As a young human they will mimic the things they see. In later years, the environment still plays a role in molding them into what society would have them be, but they have more freedom than they do as younglings.

For example, my neighbor is a hockey player. When I got back from lunch today he was out in his driveway watching his 5ish year old pretend to play hockey. I see the kid out there every day mimicking what he sees at his dad's games.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 02:07 PM

I don't deny that to be the case, Lava Lamp. Many adults may be devoted to their respective religions only because of what they were taught to do and believe as children. That does not apply to all religious people, however.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 02:45 PM

You're right, I shouldn't have mocked Catholics. I shouldn't have mocked anyone.

Alas, he's not a christian, in my opinion/belief, not all Catholics are Christians. Lastly, I wasn't mocking Christians, I was mocking Catholics.

It was wrong and I apologize to all Catholics on this forum for my actions, they were wrong, and I ask you to forgive me.
We are Catholics, not Muslims. No need to apologize, we aren't thin skinned and insecure about our faith

“Building Better Worlds”

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
We are Catholics, not Muslims. No need to apologize, we aren't thin skinned and insecure about our faith
Gotta respect you guys for that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Your persecution complex is clouding your understanding. I don't care in the slightest about you or your lifestyle.

I've very critical of Biblical inerrantists and Biblical literalists when they suggest that their religious views should guide public policies.

The Amish are among the most "extreme" religious group in the US, but they aren't shoving their religion on others, so they're fine with me; live and let live. Your typical "religious right" person is far less "extreme" religiously, but expect their views on gays, science education, or whatever to be implemented politically.

I've no interest in living in a theocracy. Don't drag your religion into politics and I won't make fun of your beliefs.
Of course you have excuses for such behavior, and then you lash out at me saying I have a "persecution complex" because of it. Why am I not surprised? I know your views make you feel superior to those who live by faith, it's common with the majority of neo-atheists I've met.

Man up and take responsibility for being a religion basher.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 03:10 PM

Obviously, I need to school you some.

Shaddim was attacking me directly in this post. So yes, it was directed at me. Apology accepted.
Yet, you still can't play nice with others. I was even kind enough to leave your name out of it, tut-tut.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Apr 21, 2008, 03:15 PM

Because God changed my heart. Seriously, that's the only way it can happen. To say I had any input into it is to be theologically wrong.

Nearly my entire family is NOT Christian. And over 50% label themselves as atheists. The couple of family members that are Christian became Christians after I became one. We get ridiculed at family gatherings often.

I associated and hung around with atheists before I became a Christian. I was not "peer pressured" into become a Christian. As a matter of fact, I was the guy peer pressuring Christians into becoming atheists. Basically, my story is that of a Saul who became a Paul if you will.

No one "led me to Christ" or convinced me of it. If you want to get nitpicky, I did have a copy of the Bible, but being as the Bible is the most printed text on Earth, most people have a couple copies.
I like you. Seriously, I don't want to muck in this thread too long, but this was very well said. My story is similar, but not exactly the same.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 03:29 PM

What the heck is a neo-atheist? Are there paleo-atheists too?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 05:32 PM

If a certain degree of surety is simply impossible in reality, why not forget that and call the highest possible level "sure"? That's what we usually do in practice when we're talking about mundane issues, isn't it?

Because, as this thread has demonstrated, there are people who believe that a certain degree of surety is impossible, and there are people who don't.

That seems like a hugely important distinction to me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 07:52 PM

I hope the continuing irony is not lost on you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 08:48 PM

I hope the continuing irony is not lost on you.
I hope you'll stop taking my posts out of context.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 08:56 PM

I saw Darryl Dawkins on Bill Maher on the 18th. He was hawking his book, "The Godless Delusion" Maher asked how sure he was there was not a god, he said 6.9 out of 7, or was it 9.9 out of 10. In any any case even he is not 100% sure.
45/47

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, you wouldn't believe it anyways...

-t
turtle please try. It may expand my mind. I'm all for learning and if i am wrong, i will bow to it.

I can explain it easily. In the "little Apocalypse" of Mark 13, Jesus "predicts" the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE, and his own "enthronement" in heaven "coming in the clouds of heaven with power and glory." While the prior prediction is easy, the latter is hard to understand. What Mark is doing here is "repurposing" the Son of Man myth from Daniel to explain Jesus being raised to heaven instead of staying in Hades/Sheol.

You see, the Jews of Jesus' time did not believe that anyone died and went to heaven. Everyone went to Sheol at death (whether this was regarded as literal or allegorical is still uncertain). Mark's fundamental theology is: Jesus was raised to heaven to be with YHWH, and if you follow his teachings you too can be raised to be with YHWH. That's the meaning of the gospel of Mark. Mark's theology knows nothing of any "second coming."

The "second coming" idea comes from Paul. Paul, being the good Pharisee, knows that scriptural requirements of the Messiah (the Davidic dynasty restored, the goyim rulers being ousted, etc) were not fulfilled by Jesus in his lifetime, except the "awakening" of the dead, of which Jesus is the first. So he is expecting Jesus to return and fulfill the remaining Messianic prophesies "sometime soon."

Mark and Paul knew each other; the story of their hostility is only briefly mentioned in Acts of the Apostles. Mark thought Paul's ideas were ridiculous, and he implicitly mocks them in his gospel: "beware the leaven of the Herodians and the Pharisees." Mark regards Paul's teaching as a corruption of Jesus' Kingdom of God message.

The most important thing to know about the New Testament is: each writer has his own theological agenda. There is no single, consistent theology. Later writers like Matthew and Luke make clumsy attempts to merge Mark and Paul's ideas, but the results are uneven and transparently inconsistent.

lpk I bow to all of that. you are right.

But I am talking about Jesus' ministry BEFORE his death. Not his followers, mainly Paul, who turned it from a religion of the coming of Gods kingdom to a religion of Jesus.

The thing is even if Jesus survived, his "prediction" never materialized in his let's say 100 year lifetime...

Jesus was an apocalyptical messiah who preached to get ready for the Kingdom of God to come soon and so far (2000 years) he's wrong.

for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
1 Thessalonians 5:2 (New International Version)

am I wrong?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
Jesus was an apocalyptical messiah who preached to get ready for the Kingdom of God to come soon and so far (2000 years) he's wrong.

for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
1 Thessalonians 5:2 (New International Version)

am I wrong?
Sorta. First, Jesus' own opinions of the Day of the Lord were probably similar to contemporary Jews, but differing in how and why it would come about.

Jesus' own Kingdom of God message was not primarily about the Day of the Lord. It was about a radical change of mind and social attitudes. The Kingdom of God would be a Jewish society that stopped using purity laws and temple taxes to exploit the poor. It would treat everyone as co-creators with God toward a society of inclusion and radical justice. It would invite all people to the fellowship table first, and preach the righteous life at the fellowship table, instead of using righteousness as an exclusionary principle to keep outcasts from the fellowship. (Jesus would never have endorsed Paul's anathema rules. Some of that Pharisee leaven, there.)

Hence, the Day of the Lord would not be God purifying Israel with Divine Vengeance, but the coming of God because Israel had purified itself in anticipation. In other words, Jesus was not really an apocalyptic preacher at all, but a social reformer and moral teacher.

The little Apocalypse of Mark 13 was Mark putting words in Jesus' mouth to conjecture why Jerusalem was destroyed, and to link that with Jesus' execution. The historical Jesus never made such predictions.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I saw Darryl Dawkins on Bill Maher on the 18th. He was hawking his book, "The Godless Delusion" Maher asked how sure he was there was not a god, he said 6.9 out of 7, or was it 9.9 out of 10. In any any case even he is not 100% sure.
Who? What? Huh?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 12:27 PM

Happy birthday to one of atheism great icons, Vladimir Lenin (born Vladimir Ulyanov)
45/47

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 12:36 PM

By any measure, a great atheist, but hardly and icon of atheism.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 12:45 PM

Happy birthday to one of atheism great icons, Vladimir Lenin (born Vladimir Ulyanov)
Troll.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 12:48 PM

Who? What? Huh?
Chocolate Thunder.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 01:01 PM

Who? What? Huh?
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 01:19 PM

You see, the Jews of Jesus' time did not believe that anyone died and went to heaven. Everyone went to Sheol at death (whether this was regarded as literal or allegorical is still uncertain).
That's not really true. There's Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) 12:7, as one example. As another, the taking of Enoch and the taking of Eliyahu. Therefore, your theory about the Christian deity being cast as unique in that regard doesn't really hold much water. Generally speaking, I think that the poetic verses that speak of Sheol represent more of a fear of the grave among Jews of that era rather than a lack of belief that righteous souls would be rewarded after death. Judaism is a very humble religion that avoids speaking for God when it comes to matters that are out of mortal hands. There is also the concept of Yirat Shamayim (awe/fear of Heaven), which is an important and Godly attribute that steers people away from sinfulness - fear of divine judgment after death helps keep people on the right path.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 22, 2008 at 01:41 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 01:25 PM

[IMG]snipperoo[/IMG]
That's not Darryl Dawkins.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 02:37 PM

That's not really true. There's Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) 12:7, as one example.
The spirit returning to God may refer to the breath of God that gives life, not the personal soul. I think the original Hebrew would shed more light.
As another, the taking of Enoch and the taking of Eliyahu. Therefore, your theory about the Christian deity being cast as unique in that regard doesn't really hold much water.
Enoch and Elijah were clearly regarded as exceptions, so righteous as to be suitable to be in God's own presence. Note that they couldn't be in Sheol because they didn't die.
Generally speaking, I think that the poetic verses that speak of Sheol represent more of a fear of the grave among Jews of that era rather than a lack of belief that righteous souls would be rewarded after death.
I didn't deny a judgement after death, which was a common belief during the Second Temple era. The good could expect eternity in the bosom of Abraham while the evil would be in flames, but both were in Sheol, not heaven.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 03:15 PM

I thought there were two camps of belief, Sadducees and Pharisees, one group believed in the resurrection (Pharisees) and the other did not.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 03:51 PM

Also the Essenes, who were like hyper-Pharisees, and of course the Zealots. However, all these groups are more like political labels rather than religious groups.

We really don't know much about the Sadducees' actual beliefs, since we only have the opinions of their critics.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 03:54 PM

Ooooo, don't forget Pol Pot, his birthday is in a couple weeks.

thanks
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 04:39 PM

Atheism icon.

Most pathetic trolling attempt ever.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 05:19 PM

The spirit returning to God may refer to the breath of God that gives life, not the personal soul. I think the original Hebrew would shed more light.
It informs, but not in the manner you suggest. You'd have to get into a discussion of the parts of the soul - הָרוּחַ נֶפֶשׁ נְשָׁמָה. Without getting too technical, the word נֶפֶשׁ is translated as spirit, and heavenly beings possess it.

Enoch and Elijah were clearly regarded as exceptions, so righteous as to be suitable to be in God's own presence. Note that they couldn't be in Sheol because they didn't die.
That's a nice theory, but it doesn't hold in Jewish thought. If it were the case that only those who never died as they did would be the only ones to go to Heaven, then Moshe, who was far greater than they, would have not died, either.

I didn't deny a judgement after death, which was a common belief during the Second Temple era. The good could expect eternity in the bosom of Abraham while the evil would be in flames, but both were in Sheol, not heaven.
Without Jewish sources external to Tanakh I may not be able to prove it to your satisfaction; I can see how one only informed to the extent that you are could easily hold that view.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 05:55 PM

Sorta. First, Jesus' own opinions of the Day of the Lord were probably similar to contemporary Jews, but differing in how and why it would come about.

Jesus' own Kingdom of God message was not primarily about the Day of the Lord. It was about a radical change of mind and social attitudes.
Have you ever read Paula Fredriksen? She (and lots of others) argues basically just what ironknee said - that Jesus was simply yet another one of the end-of-the-world-is-near preachers common during that time. Christianity as we know it was formed basically when it tried to explain why Jesus was wrong.

I prefer the Kingdom-of-God-as-liberal-social-values stuff, of course, but I wonder whether it's just us projecting our modern sensibilities and wishes onto Jesus to make him more cool and new-agey than he really was.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 06:26 PM

It informs, but not in the manner you suggest. You'd have to get into a discussion of the parts of the soul - הָרוּחַ נֶפֶשׁ נְשָׁמָה. Without getting too technical, the word נֶפֶשׁ is translated as spirit, and heavenly beings possess it.
I'll take your word for that.
That's a nice theory, but it doesn't hold in Jewish thought. If it were the case that only those who never died as they did would be the only ones to go to Heaven, then Moshe, who was far greater than they, would have not died, either.
I think a case could be made that Enoch was greater than Moses, particularly if legends like Enoch as Metatron were given credence. Regardless, my theory is about what early Christians thought about Jesus and the afterlife. The Petrine' doctrine of the Harrowing of Hell confirms that the early Christians believed the very nature of life beyond death was altered by Jesus. EDIT: Besides, the existence of a contradiction in a religious doctrine isn't really surprising.
Without Jewish sources external to Tanakh I may not be able to prove it to your satisfaction; I can see how one only informed to the extent that you are could easily hold that view.
What tiresome snarkery.
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Have you ever read Paula Fredriksen? She (and lots of others) argues basically just what ironknee said - that Jesus was simply yet another one of the end-of-the-world-is-near preachers common during that time. Christianity as we know it was formed basically when it tried to explain why Jesus was wrong.

I prefer the Kingdom-of-God-as-liberal-social-values stuff, of course, but I wonder whether it's just us projecting our modern sensibilities and wishes onto Jesus to make him more cool and new-agey than he really was.
20 years ago, virtually all scholars regarded Jesus as an apocalyptic preacher. With continued analysis of Q, Thomas, and the Dead Sea Scrolls, the consensus has cracked along this issue. John Dominic Crossan (whose book God and Empire I just finished reading) is the vanguard of the anti-apocalyptic side. No, I haven't read Fredriksen yet.

I don't think Jesus could really be described as a liberal reformer. He was radically inclusive, but only of Jews as he was not a Hellenistic cosmopolitan. Jewish prostitutes were included while a Greek labourer would be excluded. And he was virulently anti-divorce. In his own mind, I suspect he was "turning back the clock" to a purer Mosaic law without Second Temple innovations (like ritual purity as a lifelong activity).
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Apr 22, 2008 at 06:34 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 08:00 PM

What tiresome snarkery.
I apologize for the indelicate phrasing of that sentence. I was pressed for time and wanted to get the post up but didn't have a better way of conveying the sentiment. You are obviously intelligent, knowledgeable and well versed in scripture, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. All I was trying to say was that, the conclusion you hold is very reasonable, until you look closer at the text (the actual Hebrew) and sources external like the Talmud.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ooooo, don't forget Pol Pot, his birthday is in a couple weeks.

thanks
and you know who's was Sunday (420 day)
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 08:59 PM

snarkery.
ebuddy

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 04:51 PM

I apologize for the indelicate phrasing of that sentence. I was pressed for time and wanted to get the post up but didn't have a better way of conveying the sentiment. You are obviously intelligent, knowledgeable and well versed in scripture, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. All I was trying to say was that, the conclusion you hold is very reasonable, until you look closer at the text (the actual Hebrew) and sources external like the Talmud.
No worries.

i just came back from the bookstore with some Biblical reading: Fredriksen's Jesus of Nazareth, Crossan's The Historical Jesus, and Finkelstein's Bible Unearthed. I'm starting to think a historical Jesus thread would be in order.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
She (and lots of others) argues basically just what ironknee said - that Jesus was simply yet another one of the end-of-the-world-is-near preachers common during that time.
I like the way "The Life of Brian" portrayed that. All these "profits" and people so desperate to follow anyone and any thing.

Poor Brian.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
All these "profits"
Prophets?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Prophets?
Haha. I think it's funnier my way. Or not.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 09:46 AM

I'd cast Michael Ironside as Lenin.

He'd be perfect

“Building Better Worlds”

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 11:30 AM

who would you cast as Stalin?

Wilford Brimley?
( Last edited by Chongo; May 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM. )
45/47

Railroader
Banned
Apr 25, 2008, 11:57 AM

who would you cast as Stalin?

Wilford Brimley?
YouTube - Wilford Brimley - The Beetis

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 6, 2008, 10:56 PM

This thread isn't about Christianity..this is an unholy thread with one purpose. To make one person, or group, feel superior and above another.

How sad for your to have posted the question in the first place You are truly lost.

1. Thou shalt not kill

Now go tell all those born again soldiers in Iraq to stop killing. And while you're at it, ship out yourself and be a peacemaker in Sadr City.

You're so all fired hot to show how holy you are?

Go show us big man.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 06:27 AM

wtf?

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
This thread isn't about Christianity..this is an unholy thread with one purpose. To make one person, or group, feel superior and above another.

How sad for your to have posted the question in the first place You are truly lost.

1. Thou shalt not kill

Now go tell all those born again soldiers in Iraq to stop killing. And while you're at it, ship out yourself and be a peacemaker in Sadr City.

You're so all fired hot to show how holy you are?

Go show us big man.
Ummmmmm............ Depending on which translation you use, you can find the first commandment written as either "thou shall not kill" or "thou shall not commit murder." Considering as how in that same are of the Old Testament there were huge numbers of non Israelites killed by the almighty, I think the "murder" translation is more accurate.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2008, 10:25 AM

Mister Rogers?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 03:58 PM

Anyway, the idea that somebody is damned to Hell just because he doesn't currently believe in Christ is not exactly Biblical. Logic tells us, and the Bible agrees, that it's entirely within Christ's power to reveal himself to us and he'll do so in his own time. It also tells us that Jesus' sacrifice was for everybody, not just a certain special subset of people. And lastly, Christ explicitly warns us not to judge our fellow man in his place. So I think a Christian could quite honestly admit that he's not qualified to tell me where I'm going when I die.
I love this logic! Good post.

I am a Taoist, and I am so because it's a frame of mind, not a strict set of behaviours and customs that are modified generation after generation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules