Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G battery issue

iPhone 3G battery issue
nathanxu
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2008, 12:10 AM

Hi guys, I use to have an iPhone 2G, and its battery could normally last me around 4 days without a lot of internet use.
I have purchased an iPhone 3G from Optus in Australia in August. Its battery initially could last me around 2-3 days with a lot of internet use. However, it seems recently I am having difficulty to use the phone without recharge within 1 day. That is, the phone would not stand by for more then 24 hours. Is there's any reason behind that? I am always very careful with the battery and I would not unplug the phone from its charger until its fully charged. Is that's a battery issue?
If it is a battery issue, who should I talk to about the battery problem, my understanding is that it is still under warranty.
Thank you guys
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2008, 10:34 AM

A 50-70% reduction in battery life going from the iPhone to the 3G iPhone is typical from my observation of iPhone users. I don't believe it's a considered a defect. If battery life is more important than network performance to you, turn off 3G.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 28, 2008, 12:08 PM

Do you have a wi-fi network that has a poor signal? From my experience, if my iPhone is always connecting and losing the signal from wi-fi networks the battery life is significantly less. Otherwise, from casual browsing and talking I can get 2-3 days off a full charge.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2008, 12:15 PM

I get one day, two max out of my G3.

That's ok for now.

I'm just really worried about 18 months from now. Will I have to recharge twice a day ?

-t

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 01:52 PM

What software version are you using? I've installed v2.1 and it is awesome. Something I noticed is that if you've recently installed v2.1 and still see extreme battery power consumption, drain the battery until all you can do is recharge. It recalibrates the battery. Right now I've 1hr 9min of usage, 20hrs 37min standby on one charge, and I've used maybe 5% power in a 21 hr period.
:) unixfool :)
http://www.unixfool.com
_____
iMac 27" 3.06GHz C2D | White MB CD 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD | Graphite PMac G4 500MHzx2, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD | White iPhone 3G 16GB | Black iPhone 3GS 32GB

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2008, 01:52 PM

After a 9 hour charge over night I get 13 hours standby until the 10% warning pops up. In this time I had 3 minutes phonetime.
WiFi off, Locations services off. 3G on, MobileMe push on.

This must be a battery problem.

nexus5

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
A 50-70% reduction in battery life going from the iPhone to the 3G iPhone is typical from my observation of iPhone users. I don't believe it's a considered a defect. If battery life is more important than network performance to you, turn off 3G.
Ya it is about 50% less and it isn't an observation or a defect as they specs are clearly listed on Apples website with half the talk time of the last iPhone.

It is 3G for voice that takes up so much juice as the bitrate is higher. No point in using 3G for talk though if all you are doing is talking to people with non-3G phones and it won't sound any better.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2008, 03:29 PM

I'm connected to wifi most of the time, and leave 3G on (& location services, fetch for mail)
so I get 4-5 hours of solid use, and typically 13 hours standby.

I imagine I'd gain more time by turning off the bells and whistles, but I actually enjoy using them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

nathanxu  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
After a 9 hour charge over night I get 13 hours standby until the 10% warning pops up. In this time I had 3 minutes phonetime.
WiFi off, Locations services off. 3G on, MobileMe push on.

This must be a battery problem.

nexus5
Yes, my phone is almost like yours right now. That is why I believe it might have a battery problem. I just have to recharge my phone everyday without much usage. Would Mobile Me push on use a lot of battery?
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2008, 11:25 PM

Yes push uses a lot of battery. My battery doesn't get more than a day usage either but for the amount I use it is is normal.

nathanxu  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by unixfool View Post
What software version are you using? I've installed v2.1 and it is awesome. Something I noticed is that if you've recently installed v2.1 and still see extreme battery power consumption, drain the battery until all you can do is recharge. It recalibrates the battery. Right now I've 1hr 9min of usage, 20hrs 37min standby on one charge, and I've used maybe 5% power in a 21 hr period.
I am using version 2.1, I was expecting a better battery usage but it hasn't happen.
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 04:33 AM

Push is most definitely a candidate. Even if you use a good amount of 3G data and wifi, w/o push in my experience you can get through a full day.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2008, 01:38 PM

2.1 improved my battery life by about 10-20%

Forum Links
Forum Rules