Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Inconsistent SSD Upgrade Pricing

Inconsistent SSD Upgrade Pricing
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 08:29 AM

I have posted this in the threads but maybe someone could enlighten me on this lack on consistency in ssd upgrade pricing.

Looking at the store in Australia which got price hiked substantially how come when you configure the entry level macbook the 128gb ssd drive is A$ 1,120.00 but when you go up the next macbook model and then the macbook pro 15" to the 17" its scales down from A$ 960.00, A$ 880.00, A$ 800.00.

Why not just keep a standard price across the line for the ssd upgrade?
( Last edited by Rob van dam; Oct 15, 2008 at 08:44 AM. )
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 08:31 AM

You are not always upgrading from the same HDD. 160-250 GB on the MB. 250-320 GB on the MBP.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 08:57 AM

i know but wouldn't it make sense to have a standard price across the range for the ssd drives?
( Last edited by Rob van dam; Oct 15, 2008 at 09:06 AM. )

que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam View Post
i know but wouldn't it make sense to have a standard price across the range for the ssd drives?
No it would not. If you are upgrading from a more expensive drive it would make sense that the price difference should be smaller.

The way you propose is a kick in the groin.

With the ability to upgrade your hard disk so easily I think a better question is why not get the lower priced hard drive and buy a SSD disk drive yourself to upgrade it. When you are done you can sell the old hard disk to recover some costs.

As for the price increase, I think that has everything to do with the rising value of the US dollar relative to your local currency. Apple accounts for their costs and revenue in USD like most companies.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by que_ball View Post
No it would not. If you are upgrading from a more expensive drive it would make sense that the price difference should be smaller.

The way you propose is a kick in the groin.

With the ability to upgrade your hard disk so easily I think a better question is why not get the lower priced hard drive and buy a SSD disk drive yourself to upgrade it. When you are done you can sell the old hard disk to recover some costs.

As for the price increase, I think that has everything to do with the rising value of the US dollar relative to your local currency. Apple accounts for their costs and revenue in USD like most companies.
Kick in the groin is exaggerating and taking it a bit far. You are right that it is better in looking into buying a SSD disk drive myself to upgrade it.

However looking at the Australian forums the consensus was that even when the Australian dollar was high prices were still not on par.

que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam View Post
Kick in the groin is exaggerating and taking it a bit far. You are right that it is better in looking into buying a SSD disk drive myself to upgrade it.

However looking at the Australian forums the consensus was that even when the Australian dollar was high prices were still not on par.

Don't worry.

In Canada Apple rochambeau'd us on the prices as well. At no point has it ever been an advantage to purchase an Apple product in Canada over driving across the border to pick it up there.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 02:59 AM

It's so easy to swap the disks on these new models that I suggest you just get the cheapest HDD, buy a decent SSD somewhere else, and put it in yourself. Of course that SSD won't be covered by Apple's warranty (you might want to keep the original HDD around just in case), but it will come with its own.

I'd be surprised if compared to Apple's SSD you couldn't get a better performing SSD for less from a place like Newegg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules