Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Speechless, cruelty

Speechless, cruelty (Page 2)
Admiral Ozzel's Hat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 08:39 PM

He should be shot in the gut and left to bleed out. ****er
"Lord Vader, the fleet has moved out of light-speed, and we're preparing to...Aaagh!"

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I don't give a crap about the film. What set me off is the what the guys did in the first place.
100% straight.
weird wabbit

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
And now this story today also:
Puppy put down after being kicked and blinded.
What is wrong with these people?
This makes me bloody cry. I don't know. I just don't know. I don't care what "trauma" and crap people who do this sort of atrocity have to enable them to do something like this, but they somehow don't deserve to live, I think. What they do deserve is to experience the same treatment themselves. And I don't have a smiley for this.
weird wabbit

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I heard about that 3 years ago and I was ready to hunt the guy down and kill him myself.

Your best post ever, IMO.
weird wabbit

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I'm not a violent person so I wouldn't want to beat that guy up, but I could consider allowing the animals to get back at him. Like killer bees or spiders!

Nature can kick ass as well.
I think cutting him up a bit, but only enough to make the fu�ker bleed, and then dropping him overboard in shark infested waters, especially a place where the sharks aren't that big, so that it takes longer, would be a fitting punishment.
weird wabbit

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:14 PM

Has anybody bothered to actually research this? Here you go. Knickers, get ready to untwist, 3.2.1 go:

Co-Director's Statement
The Festival has received a number of concerned emails and phone calls, following recent media stories, regarding the documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT. The Festival Co-Director�s response appears below.

The Toronto International Film Festival Group emphatically condemns the abuse and torture of animals. The documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT has as its subject matter a sad and regrettable real-life incident that shocked and provoked strong feelings among many people.

The documentary neither glorifies nor condones the torture of animals. It does NOT show any of the actual, graphic video footage from this criminal event. It does include interviews with those who were outraged by this event including the detective who handled the case as well as committed animal-rights activists. People who have viewed the film � and that includes several Toronto journalists and our curators - indicate that it certainly does not allow room to sympathize with the actions of the convicted criminals portrayed in the documentary and shows them to be morally bankrupt.

The rights of Toronto audiences to engage in meaningful discussion about the issues of the day are inviolable. Film festivals exist, in part, to generate intelligent, reasoned discussion, not to stifle it. The Festival programming decision to show this documentary remains unchanged.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:33 PM

I agree that perhaps we may be a bit worked up.

But, the director and creator of the film WANTED that -- he named the film in such a way as to invoke provocative feelings! "The Art of Killing a Cat."

Why?

What was his point?

I mean, honestly, HE is the one that called it "Art."

Why make that the title and why titillate people with it?

IMO (which doesn't matter much hehe), he did it because he wanted the publicity. Outrage. Anger. FAME.

Well, he got it, didn't he?

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i dunno but i don't think you can serve jail in the US only on weekends. thats kinda weird.
You can. I had a friend who got busted for shoplifting in Redlands, CA that had to do a four weekends as punishment. I think they take employment into account.

Admiral Ozzel's Hat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Has anybody bothered to actually research this? Here you go. Knickers, get ready to untwist, 3.2.1 go:

Co-Director's Statement
The Festival has received a number of concerned emails and phone calls, following recent media stories, regarding the documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT. The Festival Co-Director�s response appears below.

The Toronto International Film Festival Group emphatically condemns the abuse and torture of animals. The documentary CASUISTRY: THE ART OF KILLING A CAT has as its subject matter a sad and regrettable real-life incident that shocked and provoked strong feelings among many people.

The documentary neither glorifies nor condones the torture of animals. It does NOT show any of the actual, graphic video footage from this criminal event. It does include interviews with those who were outraged by this event including the detective who handled the case as well as committed animal-rights activists. People who have viewed the film � and that includes several Toronto journalists and our curators - indicate that it certainly does not allow room to sympathize with the actions of the convicted criminals portrayed in the documentary and shows them to be morally bankrupt.

The rights of Toronto audiences to engage in meaningful discussion about the issues of the day are inviolable. Film festivals exist, in part, to generate intelligent, reasoned discussion, not to stifle it. The Festival programming decision to show this documentary remains unchanged.
Here is the thing, nobody it talking about this movie that is showing at the festival everyone is pissed at the prick who killed the cat in the first place.
"Lord Vader, the fleet has moved out of light-speed, and we're preparing to...Aaagh!"

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Admiral Ozzel's Hat:
Here is the thing, nobody it talking about this movie that is showing at the festival everyone is pissed at the prick who killed the cat in the first place.
word.
weird wabbit

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

Co-Director's Statement

This link says it better than I can, but in a nutshell: why for fu�k's sake, should this film, if it is really a documentary, be at a film festival? Do you think it's art? Did you expect the co-director, who had a big laugh at people protesting this film, to make a critical statement about her own film? Why does one have to have some "deep understanding" of si�k bastards who do things like this? is there some magical point in understanding psychopaths that will suddenly change evrything for the better.

The director stated:

Zev Asher, who defends his film as a balanced exploration of the mind of an animal abuser, says all the attention can't hurt a struggling independent producer like himself.

"Controversy is good to get people to see the film," the Montreal-based film maker told CTV News.
Fair and balanced my fu�king arse. The guy made it to get attention. He basically didn't give a flying fu�k, so long as it makes him popular and gets him attention.

The only attention he would get from me would be a good smack upside the head.

Edit to add: Here is a description of the film:
Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat is produced by Linda Feesey and directed by Zev Asher. She made Sex and Cerebral Palsy. He made What About Me: The Rise of the Nihilist Spasm Band. They are not Disney.

To set the mood, they open Casuistry with scenes from a 1980 "performance art" flick, in which two cats are disembowelled and worn as hats.

Istvan Kantor filmed that gem. He has since won a Governor General's Award.

But Jesse Power is the star of Casuistry.

(It's his special word, right before "cat" in the dictionary.)

He's even the soundtrack, yowling his Anti-Meat Eating Song.

He speaks first in shadow, then, as he warms to the topic, in full view.

His bangs dangle sexily. His eyes toy with the camera. "Man, am I charismatic," they say. "And misunderstood."

And a whiner.

The cops "went all righteous on me."

Or, "I never got to eat the cat, but a lot of other people are feasting off of this cat."

Or, things got gory because he and his pals were "disorganized" and one of them gave him a dull razor. Plus they were dozy on drugs.

And, anyway, "everything takes a long time to die, no matter what it is." He got 90 days, on weekends.

He blames the papers, and society, and the young woman who called the cops (in hopes of a reward, says our Jesse).

Pal Wennekers even manages to blame cats, "just a smarter version of rats, an artifact of human culture."

Sometimes, bull-fights or squealing swine flash across Casuistry. Remember, Power's "art video" was to show the "hypocrisy" of pets in a world of abattoirs.

And, step right up, see Jesse Power chop off a runt chicken's head. See him cuddle a rotting pig, play puppet with a baby orangutan's corpse.

There is none of the Kensington tape. The filmmakers couldn't get their hands on it.

They also couldn't find any backers, even in usually fertile arts councils and grant offices. Total budget was, oh, $500.

Apologists were a dime a dozen, though.

A friend of Matt's tells us how the guy is a talented writer and once asked for a teddy bear.

"Artists" say things like: "Young men, as they're growing up and learning how things work, they always kill something. It's part of growing and developing as a young person."

Det. John Margetson, the humane society and the like, bring some balance and sense, thank goodness.

"I cannot condone, or condemn, what (Power and Co.) did," says Zev Asher, down the line from Montreal.

"I think it was a misguided adventure, that they were inebriated and did something sick and stupid.

"I think Jesse is an artist. I don't think this was art at all, though I understand what he was trying to do."

I dunno. You should see those 17 minutes, Mr. Asher.

I have. So when Jesse Power smirks that maybe he'll be "torn apart by a cougar" when he goes camping ...

... it's hard not to root for the cougar.
( Last edited by theolein; Sep 16, 2004 at 12:48 AM. )
weird wabbit

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:41 AM

Somewhere Michael Moore is rubbing his chin while thinking "This guy is on to something.."

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
word.
werd.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:58 AM

i am amazed at how so many of you are so worked up about this. someone killed a cat a few years ago and video taped it. big deal. i don't see anyone here volunteering to go fight in Sudan because of all the killing, torturing and raping of PEOPLE; yet many of you have said that you would like to hunt this guy down and beat him / kill him / feed him to sharks. Come on people, it's only a cat. I don't like animal cruelty either, but IT'S ONLY A CAT for crying out loud! There are tons of better reasons to get worked up, yet for some reason killing a cat does it for you all. Weird.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 02:14 AM

You know what really annoys me? It's when people claim that getting upset about animal cruelty is ridiculous because there is so much cruelty to humans in the world. There is no reason to think that this is an either/or situation. Can't people be outraged about *both* things?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
i am amazed at how so many of you are so worked up about this. someone killed a cat a few years ago and video taped it. big deal. i don't see anyone here volunteering to go fight in Sudan because of all the killing, torturing and raping of PEOPLE; yet many of you have said that you would like to hunt this guy down and beat him / kill him / feed him to sharks. Come on people, it's only a cat. I don't like animal cruelty either, but IT'S ONLY A CAT for crying out loud! There are tons of better reasons to get worked up, yet for some reason killing a cat does it for you all. Weird.
Ya and the people that died on 9/11 were only Americans.

All those people that are dead in Iraq ask for it. All of them
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Yeah but the chick who did this deserves worse

holy toledo captain obvious.... that bag reeks of sadness .. =(

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 06:55 AM

[B]
I've already written to the sponsors of the festival, amongst them Air Canada and Starbucks informing them that they just lost me as a customer for supporting this atrocity.
Wow you are really dumb.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 07:17 AM

That's ironic. I think that in almost every post you make yet you haven't shut up once.
Tell me Private Obvious. How would I go about that. How do I post but at the same time shut up?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
Tell me Private Obvious. How would I go about that. How do I post but at the same time shut up?
By ceasing your inane comments in the same thread. But its not likely to stop. You seem to like to post to have the same member give you the repeated response, " " over and over again.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 07:41 AM

By ceasing your inane comments in the same thread. But its not likely to stop. You seem to like to post to have the same member give you the repeated response, " " over and over again.
What "inane comments" are you talking about?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:55 AM

Poor animals ! Some people are the worst ! Unlimited cruelty, and no morals. I wonder what their parents did while raising them ?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 09:44 AM

Then start your own thread about Sudan.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
Wow you are really dumb.
And you are....?
weird wabbit

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Then start your own thread about Sudan.
I think he made a pretty good point though. Heh, i started a thread about Sudan, it got one reply. But that's how well most of my threads do so maybe someone else should try first before we reach any conclusions....

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:33 AM

What "inane comments" are you talking about?
Hiya, Logic!

Who cares, right? I like your comments...

Seriously, the cat situation is a sad one and that Louis Vuitton bag pic is a commentary of another kind. Another animal died for the making of that bag...but no one goes and films Louis Vuitton cutting up animals to make $1000+ handbags.

That's okay...because those bags belong to the upper crust...and some of those same people bitching about the poor cat film are probably flocking to the film and proclaiming it "art."

What a weird upside down world.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:34 AM

I would normally just ignore your post, but I'll take the bait. I think it has to do with the fact that the cat was defenceless. The cat is a tiny animal compared to a human being. It cannot talk. It was in a situation where there was no one to defend it. Then, these sick bastards delighted in what they did. There is a description of their video here:

Not to make you gag, but the art student and his pal skin the cat alive, pluck out its eye, pull off its ear with pliers, all carefully captured on video.

The dialogue on the tape:

"Beautiful man."

"Let's tack it to a wall."

"Whoa, look at his intestines."

They slit the stray cat, stab it, kick it, hang it with a cord. All the while, the animal mews for mercy. Do festival programmers file The Art of Killing a Cat under Cinema Verite? Or Tortured Cat?
I don't know if you find that sort of thing "harmless". You say, "It's only a cat". Well, what if that were a tiny child, also incapable of defending itself or speaking? Would you delight in that too? Would you claim, "It's only a child"? I think your comments say a lot about you and your ability to empathise with the feelings of others.

And I say again. I think these rejects of humanity should get a little bit of what they dished out. I think some serious agony and pain would bring them marvelous insights into their lives and actions.
weird wabbit

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
I think he made a pretty good point though. Heh, i started a thread about Sudan, it got one reply. But that's how well most of my threads do so maybe someone else should try first before we reach any conclusions....
Belittling others is probably not the best way to go about making his point. What has happened in Sudan is nothing short of a disgrace on the state of humankind, but that doesn't diminish the fact that torturing animals is also a disgrace (even if it is considered less so). Hence my original suggestion: rather than ridicule this topic, it might make more sense to create his own.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:47 AM

I don't know if you find that sort of thing "harmless". You say, "It's only a cat". Well, what if that were a tiny child, also incapable of defending itself or speaking? Would you delight in that too? Would you claim, "It's only a child"?[/B]
Not to mention the fact that often those who take part in such abuse towards animals eventually move on to abusing humans.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:00 AM

theolein:

That makes me sick to my stomach.

The director who dignifies that behavior in any way, shape, or form is an *sshole.

That is NOT "art."

I say, keep on emailing those film festival folks. They deserve it for giving that director any credibility whatsoever.

Disgusting.

Cohiba
Sep 16, 2004, 11:07 AM

Personally, I am against animal cruelty, but I am against cruelty in general. However, I like everyone else in the world, tries to shut out the truth. Now was this movie enlightening? Not sure. But here is my take on it.

If you eat a hamburger, I am sure you know that the cow did not die of natural causes before being sawed up.

If you have leather gloves, you can bet a shiny new nickel that the animal used to make those gloves did not checkmark the donor box in their driver's license.

Use some form of medicine, chances are many mice have died painfully to give it the okay by the FDA.

Animals worldwide are put to death in mass solely because they are unwanted in pounds.

Hell, even in most countries, human children that feel pain can be killed by having their brain drilled out.

And in Sudan, people are dying at thousands per day and living in retched camps.

Again, I dislike cruelty, probably just as much as everyone else. But sadly, us as human beings live off of it. Without cruelty people would be very unhappy, no hamburgers, no leather gloves, no medicine, no abortions, no money saved for the Sudanese. It's just how people are.

If anything, I guess this movie lets us know that there is cruelty, and just points out that people only think bad things are bad, if they know they are actually happening. And people only seem to know things are happening if they see it with their own two eyes. Or I guess, its that killing the cat had no purpose so it is bad, but killing a cow, or a bag of mice does so it is good. If that is the case, it lets us know that killing this is perfectly fine if it holds meaning for us. Which when it comes down to it, is hypocritical.

Would I want to see this movie, not really as I have already said I dislike cruelty. But it is interesting that people are saying bad things about this movie, but probably use products that are created directly from animal suffering. Nothing wrong with doing so, because I must say, I am doing so myself.

Because we people, are at the most basic level, bastards.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Cohiba:
Personally, I am against animal cruelty, but I am against cruelty in general. However, I like everyone else in the world, tries to shut out the truth. Now was this movie enlightening? Not sure. But here is my take on it.

If you eat a hamburger, I am sure you know that the cow did not die of natural causes before being sawed up.

If you have leather gloves, you can bet a shiny new nickel that the animal used to make those gloves did not checkmark the donor box in their driver's license.

Use some form of medicine, chances are many mice have died painfully to give it the okay by the FDA.

Animals worldwide are put to death in mass solely because they are unwanted in pounds.

Hell, even in most countries, human children that feel pain can be killed by having their brain drilled out.

And in Sudan, people are dying at thousands per day and living in retched camps.

Again, I dislike cruelty, probably just as much as everyone else. But sadly, us as human beings live off of it. Without cruelty people would be very unhappy, no hamburgers, no leather gloves, no medicine, no abortions, no money saved for the Sudanese. It's just how people are.

If anything, I guess this movie lets us know that there is cruelty, and just points out that people only think bad things are bad, if they know they are actually happening. And people only seem to know things are happening if they see it with their own two eyes. Or I guess, its that killing the cat had no purpose so it is bad, but killing a cow, or a bag of mice does so it is good. If that is the case, it lets us know that killing this is perfectly fine if it holds meaning for us. Which when it comes down to it, is hypocritical.

Would I want to see this movie, not really as I have already said I dislike cruelty. But it is interesting that people are saying bad things about this movie, but probably use products that are created directly from animal suffering. Nothing wrong with doing so, because I must say, I am doing so myself.

Because we people, are at the most basic level, bastards.
Why do you and others continually miss the point???? No one has suddenly claimed that the world is a gem of humility and kindess. That is not the objection that people have against this movie, or against the sick fu�kers who did this act. The outrage is against the fact that those monsters enjoyed doing what they did, and today don't show any remorse. Not only that but the death was brought about by agravated torture. And the cat was not a meat animal, which are, by and large, killed as humanely as possible. It was a house animal, one with which people start a relationship.
weird wabbit

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:29 PM

Why do you and others continually miss the point???? No one has suddenly claimed that the world is a gem of humility and kindess. That is not the objection that people have against this movie, or against the sick fu�kers who did this act. The outrage is against the fact that those monsters enjoyed doing what they did, and today don't show any remorse. Not only that but the death was brought about by agravated torture. And the cat was not a meat animal, which are, by and large, killed as humanely as possible. It was a house animal, one with which people start a relationship.
Why do you and others continually miss some of OUR points? Is a cat any more defenseless than unarmed people vs people with machine guns? The crazy thing about this thread is that all of you get so worked up about a "defenseless" cat, but have little to say about defensless PEOPLE getting tortured by others that enjoy doing what they do as well. As was mentioned earlier by another, when a thread was started about Sudan, it got ONE post. That is really sad. Sorry guys, but there is a lot of better causes to be yelling about than about one cat dying. I guess i just feel that human life is more important than animal life and we should be spending more time on that than this.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:36 PM

errrr!!!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:46 PM

As was mentioned earlier by another, when a thread was started about Sudan, it got ONE post.
And it wasn't you who posted in that thread. Yet you've posted more than once in this one to complain.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Probably meant a $500 fine in the end but he get death threats constantly.

Why do I have the weird feeling that some people would probably almost kill him for filming that.

Ahh, it's revenge, now it's ok...

-t

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 04:00 PM

all I can say to that is "Why?"

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 10:44 PM

Ferchrissakes, this is fundamentally basic primative vicious cruelty here! How can some of you want to rationalize this?! Incredible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules