Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Say farewell to abortion in South Dakota

Say farewell to abortion in South Dakota (Page 5)
Kevin
Baninated
Nov 12, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Really? Fill me in on "the facts" then.
I never claimed anything was fact. You did.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Are you disagreeing with him that what you said is your opinion and not factual? Are you saying it is "the facts"?
What I said is both my opinion and factual.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 13, 2006, 03:15 PM

What I said is both my opinion and factual.
It's certain a fact that it's your opinion.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that a fact is not an opinion. Insomuch as the very essence of the distinction implies that a fact is by its very nature superior to any opinion - else it damn sure wouldn't be called an 'opinion' because, I think, it has more letters than the word 'fact', in fact the word 'fact' is optional - while the word 'opinion' must be tagged to any statement that does not meet the high standards of accuracy required in order to be a fact. You wouldn't hassle with having to footnote your statement with the word 'opinion' - if you stated a fact. Facts are verifiable, while opinions are completely lacking in any value, financial or otherwise.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
I'm pretty sure that a fact is not an opinion. Insomuch as the very essence of the distinction implies that a fact is by its very nature superior to any opinion - else it damn sure wouldn't be called an 'opinion' because, I think, it has more letters than the word 'fact', in fact the word 'fact' is optional - while the word 'opinion' must be tagged to any statement that does not meet the high standards of accuracy required in order to be a fact. You wouldn't hassle with having to footnote your statement with the word 'opinion' - if you stated a fact. Facts are verifiable, while opinions are completely lacking in any value, financial or otherwise.
Nonsense. An opinion may be true (factual) or false. For instance, I'm of the opinion that the world is round (an opinion based on facts) while others may be of the opinion that it's flat (an opinion not based on facts).

Socrates discussed the difference between true opinion and false opinion more than two millennia ago. Maybe you guys should catch up?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 13, 2006, 06:33 PM

An opinion is either based upon facts, tastes, or theories.

Open a dictionary lpk

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
An opinion is either based upon facts, tastes, or theories.
My opinion in this matter is based on facts.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 13, 2006, 10:38 PM

My opinion in this matter is based on facts.
And here's where we disagree. You cannot prove your "facts". They are your opinions based upon your knowledge. Certainly not falsifiable facts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules